Pages

Friday, January 24, 2014

How Does the Life Changing Loaf of Bread Taste?

The other day my coworker and I found the recipe for The Life Changing Loaf of Bread on our printer at work and it piqued our curiosity. Apparently, our boss had printed it. She eats REALLY well and is always drinking some green sludge or chewing on kale and quinoa. I asked her about the bread a few days later, and said I didn't understand how it could stick together or rise because it has no flour or leavening in it, and she explained that the chia and psyllium help it bind because they are gelatinous, and that it doesn't really rise, and she brought me a few slices so I could taste it. 

here's what a slice looks like


It looks like the birdseed mixes I used to give my pet hamsters and parakeets, so at first I was a little put off, but I broke off a little piece and chewed it, and it was actually really delicious. It's not "bread" as in a crusty loaf of white bread that is soft in the middle, delicious, and bad for you. It's really chewy, hearty, nutty and grainy-delicious. It has a moist, kind of slippery feel on your tongue-- I believe that's the gel from the chia seeds and psyllium husks. My boss said it's great toasted. I finished one slice over the course of 45 minutes, breaking off a little bite at a time, and the slice was only about 1/4 inch thick, and it made me feel very full (that's the fiber). I ate the other slice on my train ride home and again felt really full. I don't recommend eating a large quantity of this bread, at least initially, because it's really dense and packed. Be sure to drink some water because that helps the fiber do its work of making you feel full. 

Cole is going to make the bread in the next few days so she will also be reporting on her experience with the life changing loaf of bread! 

A lot of people are baking and eating and talking about the bread, but here is the original blog that started it all. 

 - Dani Wendy

1 comment

  1. Hi! Cole here, I made a loaf and I love the taste but it came out a bit crumbly! Make sure you really mix it together well and that you use enough water! I used what the recipe called for but I think it needed another 1/4 cup. But it is perfect toasted up in the morning with a smear of cream cheese or honey butter! Try it!!!

    ReplyDelete