Pages

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

In which I piss off gays and straights alike

I am, and always will be, a fighter for equal rights when it comes to sexual preferences. Being a straight woman who prefers the male bits doesn't exclude me for wishing everyone to have the same "perks" I do.

But I have to admit to being irritated about all the hubbub that comes when a celebrity comes out. I want a world in which sexual leanings doesn't make a bit of difference when it comes to ANYTHING. I know that the press is good for awareness, I really do understand that. But the attention towards and how it somehow makes them better or worse is what I do not understand.

My gay friends aren't lauded with ticker tape or media frenzy. They go about their everyday lives, loving and living. They have families and jobs and mortgages and car payments, just like anyone else.

Yes, a pro sports player came out. He likes the penis. Good for him. So do I. But it doesn't make him a better ball player or a better person than anyone else. It just makes him...him. Equal rights means just that. Love and let love, live and let live.

- Dawny Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment