Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

Powerball winners in Wyoming!

Today is not the first day of preschool, or the last day of High School. Today is the 1st time my crazies have gotten to take cold lunch. Their excitement rivals that of a Powerball winner... 

Yes, I am the mean mom that does not pack a cold lunch for my kids every day. In fact, this is the first day out of 180 that I have made my kids cold lunch. A field-trip was on the books for today, but with the rainy weather, chances are it will be cancelled. However, the cold lunch was not cancelled. 

My son, specifically, has not quit talking about, obsessing over and planning his cold lunch since he learned a week ago that he could bring his own sak-lunch for the field-trip. 

Some of you may be asking WHY doesn't this SAHM (with no kids at home all day) make her kids a damn cold lunch? She's got the time... It's most likely cheaper than hot lunch, what is her deal? 

The deal is, I am not the mom that gives my kids every thing they want, when they want it and how they want it. 
I am not the mom that cuts the crusts of their sandwiches.
I am not the mom that buys my kids a Happy Meal every time we drive through McDonalds.  

(disclaimer - if you are that mom, carry on warrior - we all have to do what we have to do to survive)


  • I am the mom that wants them to figure out what they can eat off of that sub-par-hot-lunch-tray to be sure they can last through the afternoon without their large organs eating their small organs. 


  • I am the mom that points out to them that by eating hot-lunch they are helping employ lunch-ladies in turn helping the economy. 


  • I am the mom that wants them to see through the "free" crappy toy at McD's and realize its not important. 


  • I am the mom that with help from her best friend has realized that she can use cold-lunch as a reward for good behavior or as a special treat. 


  • I am the mom that is proud of the fact that my kids are over-the-moon about the simple things in life: a jelly sandwich, small apple, snack bag of pistachios, a bottle of water and a bag of Cheetos packed in an reused Subway kids-pac bag that I found stuffed in the bottom of a drawer. 




No comments:

Post a Comment