Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Skinny With Whip


Until today I've been getting a daily free coffee from work. We have a coffee service and this nifty rented machine that makes all manner of latte, espresso, cappuccino, and tea. Since I'm in charge of the machine and the ordering of the supplies for it, I know that the machine is $25 a month to rent and the packets of coffee and milk average 50 cents each, but somehow our boss issued an edict yesterday that we are not to partake in the coffee, as it's costing him $500 a month. I'm not sure where that number comes from, but I do know that they tout this machine as something that increases morale and keeps workers from disappearing and taking walks to go get coffee throughout the day. So now that we're forbidden to partake, I thought it was funny that we each took a turn this morning going to Starbucks, whereas we'd usually slurp a free coffee and crank through the morning without a break.

I learned something new today, mostly because the woman in front of me and  I both ordered our drinks incorrectly, which greatly annoyed the person taking our order at Starbucks. First of all, I learned that if you order a drink "skinny" that automatically means no whipped cream. Duh, right? (Skinny also means nonfat milk and sugar free sweetener.) So if you want your drink skinny but with whipped cream, you say "skinny with whip". Skinny with whip is like having a Diet Coke with your In N Out Double Double and fries. 

My favorite summertime drink is a Grande (16oz) nonfat (because nonfat milk tastes better to me than soy and has fewer calories),  iced green tea latte with 2 pumps classic. "Classic" is their sugar syrup. It does not contain high fructose corn syrup. The drink, in this size, typically comes with 4 pumps of classic, which is very sweet. Classic is 20 calories per pump, so I am adding 40 calories of sugar to my drink. Altogether this drink is around 210 calories, which is a lot of empty calories, but 159 of the calories are nonfat milk, so I guess it's only 51 empty calories, which isn't awful. 

Dani Wendy




No comments:

Post a Comment