The Princess really wanted to make Baby Jesus a birthday cake. More specifically she wanted to make him a pink birthday cake.... with red sprinkles.
So I opened my cook books and found a goody! Mrs Paula Dean gave us a recipe that made a yummy strawberry cake with strawberry cream cheese frosting!!!! You use real strawberries so the " sprinkles" are built in!!!
What you need:
- 1 (18.25-ounce) box white cake mix
- 1 (3-ounce) box strawberry-flavored instant gelatin
- 1 (15-ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Strawberry cream cheese frosting, recipe follows
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
- 1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 7 cups confectioners' sugar
- Freshly sliced strawberries, for garnish, optional
What you do:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
In a large bowl, combine cake mix and gelatin. Add pureed strawberries, eggs, oil, and water; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
Now you let The Princess lick the beaters!
Pour into prepared pans, and bake for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
For the frosting:
In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in 1/4 cup of the strawberry puree and the strawberry extract. (The rest of the puree is leftover but can be used in smoothies or on ice cream for a delicious treat.) Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth.
Spread frosting in between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with sliced fresh strawberries, or birthday candles!
xo Nicci Wendy