Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

My First Posts? It's About TV of Course!

I love television, all sorts of television.  From Sci-Fi to fantasy to medical dramas to cartoons, I love it all.  I love television that makes me FEEL.

In our house, we watch television as a family.  Sometimes my boys watch shows they probably shouldn't, but it happens.  My 12 year old has been watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer with me for years.  He knows there's no such thing as vampires but if there were, mommy has watched enough to know exactly where to shove that damn stake.  But we do it together.  We watch and then afterwards, we're just nerdy and corny enough to discuss what we just watched.  We watch iCarly, Victorious, The Big Bang Theory, the list goes on and on.  My oldest loves to watch cheesy SyFy B movies with me like Sharktopus and Dinocroc.  We laugh and laugh and discuss the absurdities.  

But our all time favorite show to watch together?  Doctor Who.  Doctor freaking Who.  Time and space and aliens and all of the nerdy stuff that the everyday Joe shakes his head at.  But if the lessons my boys have learned from watching this show were learned by more children AND adults, I promise you, this world would be much more peaceful.  And funny.

The show is about a Time Lord, an alien, who travels the world (not just in space but in time) going on adventures and helping people.  Well, and helping aliens as well.  He has friends that go along, these friends who end up saving the world and oftentimes the Doctor, time and again.  The Doctor has no super powers but has two hearts.  I think he has those two hearts because one just wasn't enough to hold the love and generosity he gives.  His friends have no super powers.  But they have a time machine and the need to experience life.

My children's heroes do not have super powers.  (Well, besides Chuck Norris.  They're nuts about Chuck Norris.  But that's for another post) If you ask them, they'll tell you that to make the world a better place, to help others, you need your imagination, a brain, a need to experience life, and a longing to make the world better.  They learned that from a tv show! Not from me, not from their father (though I'm sure we had a hand in it) but from a tv show about an alien.  They've learned that it's ok to be silly, it's ok to tell others how you feel as long as you take their feelings into consideration as well, and most importantly, that being weird?  Can be pretty freaking cool.

xo Dawn Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment